January 15, 2015

Glitter and Grit by Jessie Evans

This ride is going to last a lot longer than eight seconds… 

Female professional bull rider, Reece Hearst, graduated from the school of hard knocks. With honors. Because life is like bull riding—when it sends you to the dirt, you do whatever it takes to get on your feet, even if you have to crawl. Like when officials stripped her of her rodeo queen title on the basis of vicious gossip years ago and not even her father would believe her side of the story. Reece could have stayed in the dust, wallowing. Instead, she fixed Lonesome Point in her rearview, joined the pro circuit, and never looked back. But now a serious injury threatens to end her career and she’s back in Lonesome Point, living next door to the family that once made her life a living hell. 

After multiple tours of duty in Afghanistan and his father’s death, all Grayson Parker wants is to get his family’s cattle business back in the black and live a quiet life. But the return of Reece Hearst opens old wounds, throwing his ordered world into chaos. Grayson was serving overseas when Reece was a teenager and can’t believe the girl he once knew has grown into a heartbreaker as hardened as she is beautiful. 

Grayson finds a kindred spirit in wounded Reece and soon longs to be the man to show her that there is life after pain and loss. But can two people as damaged as Reece and Grayson find their way to happily ever after? Or will the scars on their hearts forever keep them apart?


Glitter and Grit is available for purchase:
     

When Reece picks Grayson up in the bar that fateful night, things fall into place quickly. A bit unbelievable and with just a bit of internal conflict on Reece's end and they were off and running. I loved the strong character that Reece is. I totally felt for her and her situation with Grayson's father. No one should ever have to go through that and I couldn't even begin to imagine being in her shoes. Good on her to take life into her own hands and no let it control her. True, her methods may not be the best way of coping but at least she's doing something other than withering away.

Normally, I find that I side with the guys in most romance stories (what can I say? I like to swoon!!) For once, though, I actually didn't absolutely love Grayson. I felt he was a bit wishy-washy for my liking. There's nothing really definite about him--he's the broody guy at the bar, he's the son of the guy who ruined Reece's late-adolescent life, he's this awesome guy and hero, all at the same time. I feel like he's too much all at once and that makes him not enough of anything (does that make any sense?). I also don't love that he takes Reece's issues so lightly. I find that he, almost too quickly, dismisses any issues Reece may have and just assumes that he's the best thing for her. I find him almost too pushy for my liking. 

Having jumped into this series without reading any other books, I would say that I'm not head over heels convinced but I would still look into reading the others. I found that this book was a bit too neat and tidy for me. Everything kind of wrapped up a little too nicely and easily. It was still worth the read, though! Go pick it up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment