August 25, 2014

Within These Walls by J.L. Berg

Within these walls, he became my solace, my sanctuary and my strength. 

I am not strong. I am just a survivor of circumstance.
Isn’t that what we all do? Survive?

Each of us has our own set of circumstances to muddle through. Mine are just more…complicated. 

Born with a severe heart defect, I’ve seen the inside of a hospital room more than my own bedroom. 

I was drowning, a prisoner to the illness that owned me, until he appeared. He thinks he’s blocked out the world with his tattoos and hard exterior, but I see the real Jude, the one he so desperately wants to forget. 

But is he the answer to my prayers or will he break my already damaged heart forever?

My name is Lailah Buchanan, and this is our story of hope, redemption and sacrificing it all for the one you love.



Within These Walls is available for purchase:
     


Lailah Buchanan has been living her life restrained by her heart condition her entire life. Knowing very little beyond hospital stays and what her doting mother allows, she's quite sheltered. Through happenstance, Jude gets transferred to the cardiology department where he happens to cross paths with Lailah. Jude's life hasn't consisted of much for the past three years since the death of his fiancee. Lailah seems to be the light at the end of his tunnel, though. Jude makes it his job to fulfill all of Lailah's bucket list in efforts to redeem himself for choices he made in the past that may have affected her future. The more time they spend together, the more attached they become to each other until they run into a hurdle that threatens to change their relationship forever.

This story was nice. It lacked a lot of depth and I felt like it could have gone a bit deeper with the characters. Everything seemed to fall into place a little too easily and lacked a bit of reality. I guess that may be why they're able to have their happily-ever-after. It was Lurlene McDaniel-esque in nature but didn't quite do it for me as a whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment