July 3, 2014

Searching for Perfect by Jennifer Probst

"You taught me to be brave, to open myself to joy, and to be a full person. You reached in, saw every broken part of me, and loved me anyway. You are my everything. But most of all, I learned I am perfect. For you. With you. I don't want half measures anymore. I don't want safety. I want you. Only you."

The up-and-coming matchmaking agency Kinnections is the hottest thing to hit Verily, New York—just like Kennedy Ashe, social director for the service she owns with her two best girlfriends. A coach, consultant, and cheerleader rolled into one super-sizzling package, Kennedy creates dream dates, encourages singles to shine, and never refuses a challenge—not even Nate Ellison Raymond Dunkle, rocket scientist, nerd extraordinaire, and Kennedy’s newest client.

Kennedy vows to work her magic and transform this hot mess in a lab coat with a disastrous relationship track record into the most wanted man on the Verily dating scene. If only she could turn the wand on herself . . . 

Though she radiates confidence and sex appeal, Kennedy harbors deep-seated insecurities from a tormented past and lifelong struggle with weight issues. When she realizes she and Nate are cut from the same cloth and might be perfect together, can Kennedy learn to let her heart lead the way? Or will her fears sentence her to the sidelines as Nate finds love—with someone else?


What a great novel. As much as I didn't love that Ned had to CHANGE himself to Nate to become accepted, I do love how he essentially tweaked his outward appearance to make his nerd-self more "acceptable" (and that much more desirable to Kennedy). I found myself conflicted most of the novel--hating that he had to change himself to "find love" but also love what he morphed into--good looking guy with all the nerdy quirks that I, for one, love. As conflicted as I was, though, it didn't keep me from really embracing both Nate and Kennedy and the seemingly unlikely bond that they eventually formed.

I feel that what keeps Nate and Kennedy on the same playing field is the fact that she has major insecurities about herself and has overcome a lot to accept and love herself for what she looks like. Having battled an eating disorder in her younger years, she still continues to battle those demons as an adult. I think because she has issues (though different than Nate's) and that she isn't perfect herself makes her that much more perfect for Nate. He seems to be one who counters her insecurities, calls her out on her bullshit and is a great compliment to her personality.

I love the banter and chemistry between the two characters. I also loved that they really grew into each other rather (even though Nate had been super attracted to Kennedy from the first time he saw her). I enjoyed how "real" this story was--there wasn't too much about it that was too much or unbelievable. I found Searching for Perfect very relatable and totally enjoyable. It was a great continuation to Jennifer's Searching for... series!




Searching for Perfect now available:
     

No comments:

Post a Comment